Care Leavers – Council Tax Discount 2020/2021
Last year Guildford Borough Council agreed at a Council meeting to offer Carer Leavers across the Borough of Guildford a discount with their Council Tax during the 2020/2021 financial year, Provided that they meet certain criteria.
An online application form has now been created which is now “live”.
To qualify for the discount you must be:
- A Surrey County Council care leaver under 25 years old
- Live in Guildford Borough Council’s area
- Be liable to pay the Council Tax (whether solely liable or jointly with someone else)
The amount of reduction will be:
- If you are solely liable, the reduction will be 100%, that means you will be exempt
- If you are liable to pay the Council Tax with one other person, then the reduction will be 50%
- If you are liable to pay the Council Tax with two other people, the reduction will be 33%
- The care leaver discount will be applied after all other discounts, reductions or exemptions have been awarded
- The care leaver discount will only apply from 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021
- The discount will stop:
– if you become 25 before 31 March 2021
– if you stop being liable to pay Council Tax within the Guildford Borough Council area
For more information and to access the online form click Care Leavers.