Job Vacancy – Ash Parish Council
A vacancy has arisen for the role of a Receptionist/Office Administrator to work as part of a small but busy team within local government. Be the first person everyone meets in this front-of-house role, when you join Ash Parish Council as a Receptionist/Administrator at our offices in Ash, Surrey. Our residents and customers are the most important part of our business so your admin duties at the front desk will support our whole community. You will be the very first point of contact within the council, so it’s vital that you offer professional, high quality customer service right from the start, delivered in a consistent way. If you are flexible, positive and resilient. Proactive and organised. Honest and accountable. Passionate and keen to develop. This may be the role for you.
The ideal candidate must be friendly and welcoming, smart and presentable as the first point of contact for the business. Must be IT literate with a good working knowledge of all Microsoft Office products, must have a professional telephone manner and be confident and polite in dealing with the general public. The ability to prioritise and work to deadlines is essential and previous exposure to problem-solving and client complaints, and excellent communication skills both written and orally would be a bonus. In addition, you must be a team player, able to maintain good relationships with Councillors, contractors and all customers.
This role has been identified as public facing in accordance with Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2017; the requirement to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence in English applies.
What Ash Parish Council Offers.
- Salary: £17, 711 rising to £18,426 depending on experience plus Outer London Fringe Allowance.
- A 37-hour week Monday to Friday 8.00am to 4.00pm.
- 21 days holiday per annum.
- Eligibility to join the Local Government Pension Scheme.
Your Role at Ash Parish Council
- The reception area is your domain! You will oversee the entrance foyer area and will be responsible for making it as welcoming as it can be for all visitors to the Ash Centre. This will include ensuring the leaflet information board is regularly filled and kept up to date.
- You will be the first to welcome and greet visitors, in a professional, friendly and courteous way.
- You will also be answering the telephone, redirecting calls, recording messages as required and managing emails if needed.
General Office Administration duties to include:
- General filing to be done accurately and kept up to date.
- Word processing and maintaining Council databases.
- Photocopying/laminating for other staff.
- Responsible for recording, reporting and following up general complaints to the appropriate authority.
- Receiving and managing post to include, logging out going and in coming post and ensuring the correct postage is used.
- Maintaining levels of Council stationery and other consumables.
- Recording staff annual leave.
- Taking control and be responsible for the overall supervision of event bookings at the Ash Centre and maintaining the electronic diary of events.
- To assist in the allotment administration, to include the maintenance of an up to date register of allotment holders.
- To assist in sending reminders for allotment rents which are usually collected in September each year.
- To promptly pass on details of all street lighting faults to the Council’s contractor or other Local Authority where appropriate.
- To keep Parish Council streetlight records up to date.
- Prepare a monthly summary sheet of the Ground Staff’s hours from the weekly time sheets.
- Prepare a weekly sheet calculating the Centre Assistant’s hours from time sheets.
- Accurately record details of any incoming money.
- Accurately record the sales of electricity cards.
- Any other duties commensurate with the level of responsibility of the post as designated by the Clerk to the Council.
In addition to the above, Ash Parish Council runs a of number community events. You will be required to attend in a working capacity at the following:
- The Annual Summer Fete. (June / July).
- The Annual Remembrance Parade and Service. (Nearest Sunday to 11 November).
- The Annual Christmas Fantasia. (Last Saturday in November / First Saturday in December).
- Any other event arranged by Ash Parish Council, duties to include setting up prior to the event and clearing up after the event.
Education / Qualifications.
A good all-round general education. 5 GCSEs or equivalent, to include English & Maths.
Previous clerical experience and dealing with the general public is desirable but not essential as training will be given on the job.
For an application form and an informal discussion please call the Parish Clerk 0n 01252 328287. Or click the link below
Closing dates for application is 17 July 2020. The interviews will be held on the 23 July 2020.
To download an application form please click Application Form.